Saturday, November 14, 2015

All Carrots Aren't Orange





Did you know that carrots come in different colors? All these colors provide different things!
Yellow carrots are high in Xanthophylls, they are linked to eye health and may reduce the incidence of lung and other cancers.
Red carrots are high in Lycopene, they are believed to help prevent heart disease and may reduce the risk of certain cancers, including prostate cancer.
Purple carrots are high in AnthocyaninsIn, they have antioxidants, and help reduce the risk of heart disease by slowing blood clotting.
White carrots lack pigment, but still provide fiber and other beneficial phytochemicals.
Orange carrots are high in Lutein, they may decrease the risk for developing macular degeneration and other age-related diseases.

P.S.
I would love to meet you on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/GardenTwoPlate/ or on Twitter Garden 2 Plate@GardentwoPlate

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, great to see new people are enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. I bought some colorful carrots once but never ate them because I was afraid they would taste funny. I am NOT an adventurous eater by any stretch of the word LOL. I should buy them again, if only to entertain the children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids love them especially the purple ones with yellow centers. I hope you do try them, if anything they are a great way to add color to a dish.

      Delete
  3. I have seen the rainbow carrots on cooking channels and think they are so pretty. Have yet to see them in the store. Would buy them in a heart beat! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We grew our but I found them at Sprouts and Whole Foods when we ran out of them at home.

      Delete