Saturday, November 7, 2015

Let's Get Planting!



I love to garden; I mean the feel of the dirt between your fingers, and the satisfaction of seeing things sprout, makes me so excited! When I first started I was just growing things in pots, like tomatoes and zucchini, and it was fun. With four mouths to feed, a backyard, and a tight budget, I decided to go bigger.

When I decided to start this my family was right there beside me every step of the way. Let me tell you, if your kids help plant the food, they will be more willing to try new foods. They now eat zucchini, spinach, summer squash, eggplant, carrots, onions, peas, green beans, artichokes, snow peas,  and cabbage, just to name a few. They even ask for them for dinner, and get excited when I say yes! What could be better?

We seem to have started something on our street. Neighbors were stopping at the gate to ask what we were planting, why we had certain things in our garden, and to see how easy it was to get started. Pretty soon about half of the neighborhood was in on this. Now if we don’t have something we need we can ask a neighbor and barter with what we have, to get what we need. This means less time shopping, less pesticides (we don’t use any) and who-knows-what on our food. If you can imagine it, our neighborhood was brought together by a simple garden!

In my blog I am going to give you the tools you’ll need for gardening, along with recipes, crafts, and ideas to keep on your budget. So let’s get blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment